Qualstar’s Role in the World of BIG DATA
“There are 2.5 quintillion bytes of data created each day at our current pace, but that pace is only accelerating with the growth of the Internet of Things (IoT)”
– Source: Forbes, 2018
According to a report from HootSuite, the percentage of the world’s population with internet access reached 57 percent in 2019—more than 4.4 billion people. It also revealed that more than 360 million people came online for the very first time in 2018 at an average rate of more than 1 million people a day. With each new user producing gigabytes of data through email, browsing, social media, etc., it’s easy to see how rapidly the need for storage will balloon in the coming years.
In 2018, the IDC analytics group forecast that by 2025, the total datasphere will have increased from 33 to 175 zettabytes, with IoT devices alone expected to account for more than 90 zettabytes of that total. Even more astounding, in 2025, the entire world population is expected to generate a whopping 463 exabytes of new data each day. To meet these expanding needs, data storage will need to be abundant and cheap, with low energy requirements—all hallmarks of tape storage.
Big data is the term du jour for the complex processing and managing of vast amounts of information. But while the concept may have only entered the popular vernacular relatively recently, Qualstar has been a major player in the practical implementation of big data solutions for nearly a quarter of a century!
Our focus on Vertical Markets
Fundamental to the evolution of big data has been the progressive digitization of media—voice, music, photos, renderings, videos, etc. As digital storage methods and standards evolved, industries embraced them to reduce their physical storage footprint and meet expanding requirements for records keeping. Added advantages included much faster search and access times, automated data storage redundancy, reduced staffing needs, and so on. Nonetheless, each industry has its own unique application needs. To meet those needs, Qualstar is developing solutions specific to several of the vertical markets to which our customers belong:
- Media & Entertainment
- Oil & Gas
- Government & Military
- Information Technology
- Medical Imaging
- Data Centers for Cloud Services
- Cost-effective:Typically offers the best price and performance available, with no hidden costs like slot licensing fees
- High reliability:Utilizes hot-swappable, redundant component options
- Best warranty:Standard no-cost two-year warranty on Q-Series products and three-year warranty on RLS and XLS libraries—unrivaled in the industry
- Green and mean:Optimized for low power consumption using Qualstar’s own high efficiency N2Power brand of power supplies wherever applicable
- Convenient growth path:Field-expandable systems to increase your storage capacity as your business needs grow
- Online remote support:Web based graphic user interface allows the customers to monitor the tape library from anywhere in the world